Monday, September 29, 2014

Simpsons Guy

So, the Simpsons finally crossed over with Family Guy.  I know this may not be a daily blog anymore, but did you REALLY think I was going to let this one slide?  What follows is my reaction to the episode, which I posted on www.escapistmagazine.com in response to Bob 'Moviebob' Chipmans review of the event.  Enjoy:

As probably one of the worlds biggest Simpsons fans (and a fan of Family Guy to boot), I gotta say this wasn't what I expected.

What I mean is, it was EXACTLY what I expected, and didn't really surprise me like I know the writers of both shows are capable of doing.


Dont get me wrong, it's a good laugh and probably worth buying the inevitable DVD release for the commentary/special features, but it wasn't anything special. And it kind of needed to be.


I agree that the setup getting the Griffins to Springfield should have been shortened (or cut altogether). And I too wish they had done more with the Marge/Lois dynamic. I also think its CRIMINAL that Brian didn't even try to order a dry martini at Moes Tavern.


All that being said, I quite enjoyed the episode. I laughed, and I really enjoyed the whole production. Especially the 'Family Guy' arrangement of the Simpsons theme. But thats the music nerd in me.

Final thought: The juxtaposition of the Simpsons setting/characters on the (much darker, more adults oriented) Family Guy really highlighted just how different the tone of the two shows are. I'm not gonna lie. Seeing torture, rape jokes, buckets of blood and gore, and the true (and horrifying) dysfunctionality of Megs relationship to her family, up next to the downright wholesome (by comparison) Simpsons was a little off putting.

Even the gag about Homers strangling wasn't enough to offset the amount of uncomfortable I felt seeing that much darkness in Springfield.

And maybe, that was the whole point.


* * * * *

Oh, one thing I left off.  Best gag?  near the end of the 'chicken fight' Homer is about to finish off Peter and he says "Say hello to Maude Flanders for me!"  I totally lost my shit at that line.

Goodnight, lovelies.

No comments:

Post a Comment